My Contribution for the next HR Carnival on 28th Jan, 2015
In recent weeks I have spent a lot of time researching and writing about HR strategy, strategic planning, etc. I took the SPHR exam, which focuses heavily on strategic HR. I think HR as a profession knows that this "strategy thing" is important, but they don't know how to do it, where to start, etc. I'd love to hear some examples, simple ones, of how people actually put this stuff into practice. Or maybe just a tip or two on where to start for the newbies.
HR Blogger & Analyst
I thought this could be a good start up post for the New Year which can help our HR folks to get prepared for 2015. Also I thought of including some key highlights and lessons learnt in 2014 which will set the ball rolling for all our HR folks in 2015.
So without wasting your time, let’s dive in...
2014 - The Year That Went By....
- Slow Rate of Growth in the Economy
The world economy didn't grew as expected. This has led to companies making cautious investments in large projects. However, they invested significant amount in developing their people and becoming cash efficient while keeping their continued focus on building stronger and engaged teams.
- Social Media had a significant impact on Talent Management
There couldn't have been a better time than 2014 for utilization of social media for searching talent. There are countless experiences big and small which has changed the way we manage talent across organizations.
Be it LinkedIn or Facebook, organizations has realized the potential of social media and tried to use it for recruitment and selection. Several companies have used it for branding and making key announcements. There was a change witnessed where organizations preferred digital media over print ads for recruitment and selection.
Though this is just the beginning, social media will definitely change the way we work in the HR space.
- Creation of a HUGE Entrepreneurship Ecosystem
From the development perspective, 2014 has seen a tremendous surge of interest in start ups both in terms of number of new companies that were formed to graduating students joining start ups in preference to other jobs in big multinationals.
This kind of long term trend will not only help in the growth of a country but would also result in addressing the developmental needs of the future.
- Penetration of Smart phones and E commerce platforms
The emergence of smart phones and E commerce platforms has resulted in creation of jobs however the numbers are not that encouraging at the moment.
How Can HR be a STRATEGIC Player in 2015?
What Strategies HR Needs to Focus Upon in 2015?
What I am about to share is simple yet effective strategies which can help HR to become a Strategic Player in 2015.
Ready to rock and roll.....here I go
- Know the pulse of your business and HR will emerge as a "SELF RELIANT" Department
- Work upon Digital diplomacy and Digital governance as people would prefer connecting via public conversations. This can help in significantly reducing hiring costs.
- Make use of online learning technologies to diversify and provide opportunities to your employees in acquiring new skills
- With the changing needs of employees, HR should look forward in providing environment and services that will not only support their people but will also increase their engagement levels.
- Make use of digitalization to improve customer and employee experience
- Enhance deeper collaboration between top academic institutes and industry as it can provide a platform for both to research and learn
- Focus on corporate responsibility and sustainability
Do you agree that the strategies above will help in shaping the future of HR in 2015? How can HR take the role of a strategic partner in an organization? Do share your views in the comments below.